Tuesday 22 October 2013

Wild Apparitions

I wrote this poem at my school's creative writing club and it was published in a newspaper for the schools in my local area. We were given a load of wildlife magazines and told to pick a picture of an animal and write a poem or a description about it. You can guess what animal I picked when you read the poem. I now have the picture stuck on the back of my creative writing folder (it's very pretty). I wrote this poem pretty quickly, I recall, and oddly it didn't take much editing for me to be happy with it. It isn't often I write a poem I'm happy with, no matter how much time I spend on it or how much I edit it, which is why I thought I'd share this one with everyone.

So, here is the poem:


Perhaps a memory, perhaps a dream,
From a summer long ago:
I turned around and there it was,
Its outline glinting gold.
Its body in shadow in half-light,
Its head held tall and proud –
The wolf stood high and looked at me;
Looked me up and down.


Only a moment it was there,
But forever in my mind.
When the sun glints gold that way,
I turn
And there the wolf I think I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment